Degrees and Certificates
Why Choose This Program
Each day, consumers are bombarded with thousands of advertising messages. From static billboards, print ads, wrapped vehicles, and broadcasting spots to the geotargeting of ecommerce ads that follow you on social media and the Web. Of course, let’s not forget grassroots advertising on clothing, buttons, and other wearables. Making an impression in today’s advertising landscape is an exhilarating adventure where keen advertisers must fully understand their audience and the best way to reach them over and over again.
The advertising communication and design degree prepares graduates for this ever-changing world with creative and technical skill development in copywriting, public relations, design, and photography. A variety of career paths await in writing, design, account management, social media coordination as well as creative direction or art direction. And, you can put your skills to work in agency settings, businesses large and small, the non-profit sector, or go in business for yourself.
As a student, you’ll be encouraged to participate in professional organizations such as the American Advertising Federation (AAF) and The Northway Group (a one of a kind, student run, in-house advertising agency). These opportunities will broaden your knowledge of the advertising, communication, and design industry.
Make a memorable career move. Learn more about the advertising communication and design degree.
- Incorporate computer design skills and concepts in the creation of visual and digital media.
- Develop critical thinking and creative problem solving abilities.
- Work successfully as a team member.
- Communicate clearing and professionally in both writing and spoken formats.
- Time management and the ability to meet various deadlines.
Types of Jobs
- Graphic design, copywriting, illustration and print production
- Web design, social media and interactive
- Media plannning, buying and traffic
- Advertising sales, account sales and management
- Public relations, promotions and direct marketing
- Brand strategy and communication
- Photography and broadcast
- Advertising agencies and corporate advertising departments
- Digital and interactive agencies
- Specialty advertising firms
- Public relation and marketing firms
- Self employed and freelance
Projected Job Growth
According to MN DEED, the average job growth rate in the state of Minnesota for Advertising Communications and Design fields is 3.8%.
Average State Pay
According to MN DEED, in 2014, Advertising Communication and Design employees earned a median salary of $33,400 in the state of Minnesota.
"As an alum of the Advertising Communication and Design program, I hold in high regard, the education I received at St. Cloud Technical and Community College.”
- Dennis Host, Vice President of Marketing, Coborns, Inc.
"As a member of the Advertising Communication and Design Program Advisory Board, I believe their Advertising program is completely unique and better prepares students entering the advertising business with a broad spectrum of skills than any other school in the state of Minnesota."
- Aimee Minnerath, Marketing Manager, Boys & Girls Club of Central Minnesota
"I can firmly say that I was hired in my current role due to the web knowledge, communication skills, and rounded education I gained from the courses and teachers at SCTCC."
- Kelsey Johnson, Account Executive, Siteimprove, Inc.
- Eldon Scheffler
- Phone: (320) 308-5978
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org