Resources for Faculty and Staff

Help your students get the counseling resources they need. If you believe someone is in danger of harm to self of others, call for help immediately. Call 911 and/or Campus Security at 320.308.3333. If you’re concerned about a student, but don't feel that it’s an emergency, or the person is a danger to self or others situation, please see the options below.

What can SCTCC do?

Our student services offer academic, career, and personal support. We can help the student find direction, set goals, and work toward completing an occupational program or a transferrable degree. As college advisors, we provide:

Academic Advising
Our academic advising services include:

  • Program/major planning and advising for course scheduling
  • Planning for academic success
  • Referral to academic support services

Career Advising
Our career advising services include:

  • Guidance with career exploration and career decision making
  • Assessment to determine career interests
  • Planning of career education
  • Career Exploration course – CSSC 1300 – 1 credit

Personal Support Assistance
Our services include:

  • Confidential assistance in exploring options for working through personal issues
  • Crisis counseling referral
  • Referral to community/medical providers for long-term mental health-related conditions

When should you refer a student?

Stated need for help

A student may ask for help in dealing with a problem. Just having someone listen attentively can make the student feel better. If you feel the student needs more help than you can provide, you may wish to refer to Student Support Manager.

References to suicide

Any reference to suicide should be considered serious and reason to involve the Student Support Manager right away. Many resources exist to help the student, but if you feel the threat is immediate, call 911.

Changes in mood or behavior

A student may show changes from typical mood or normal behavior. These changes may indicate that he or she is experiencing some sort of distress. You may wish to involve the Student Support Manager if a student withdraws from usual classroom interaction, has spells of unexplained crying or outbursts of anger, or demonstrates unusual irritability. These behaviors may be symptoms of anxiety or depression, which are common concerns for college students.

Drug and alcohol abuse

Indications of excessive drinking, drug abuse, or drug dependence are reason for Cyclone Care Team referral for intervention. In the case of intoxication, drug overdose, or severe drug reaction, call Campus Security (320.308.333) or 911.

Academic problems

Many students find the demands of college-level work to be greater than they anticipated. Signs of poor study strategies, excessive test anxiety, or repeated absences from class are all issues that might benefit from Academic Advising. The Center for Academic Success and Disability Services are also services that can assist students with these issues.

Career planning

A clear career plan can contribute greatly to students' motivation and success in college.  Career Services can be effective in helping students through a career decision-making process and developing career plans and goals. Students who indicate they are undecided or confused by career options may find Career Services and Academic Advising to be useful resources.

How do you refer a student?

For a crisis or situation of severe distress, choose one of the following options:

  • Call 911 or Campus Security 320.308.3333.
  • Call Student Support Services at 320.308.5090 or 320.308.5096 to arrange for the Student Support Manager to come to you if possible.
  • Escort the student to Student Support Services Rm. 1-401. Student Support Services are available Monday through Friday.  

What about confidentiality?

Information shared by students with faculty and staff is confidential in nature. This information cannot be released except upon the student's written permission. In circumstances that would result in clear danger to the student or others, or required by law.

If a faculty or staff member is interested in a student's contact with support staff, simply ask the student directly. Talking with the student regarding the outcome of your referral to support resources shows your concern for the individual's welfare.

Other resources