International Students

Make SCTCC your college of choice!

Students from around the world are welcome at St. Cloud Technical & Community College!

If you would like to join them, apply today!

Students must complete the PDF version of the International Student Application. Applications submitted online via SCTCC’s website will not be acted on and students will be re-directed to fill out the paper application. Please complete the following steps:

  1. Complete an international student application (link to PDF)
  2. Submit a $20 non-refundable application fee. This can be paid with a check or money order made out to St. Cloud Technical and Community College.
  3. Submit an English translation of all official transcripts indicating completion of high school.
  4. Provide proof of English language proficiency, if not a native speaker of English (TOEFL transcripts demonstrating a satisfactory level of English proficiency). Must score a 61 on the on-line version of the test with not less than a 15 on each sub-test of reading, writing and listening. To find a testing location near you, log into
  5. Submit a completed Confidential Financial Information Form.  (link to PDF) This form is signed by the applicant to ensure they are aware of their financial responsibility in become an international student.
  6. Submit current bank statements from your sponsor showing sufficient funds to cover educational, living and transportation funds. The bank statements must be translated into English and certified official from the financial institution.
  7. Provide an affidavit of financial support from sponsor. Your sponsor must prove access to assets of $12,500 (USD) and commit to supporting you while you study in the United States. A change in your sponsor’s financial situation may have a negative impact on your ability to remain in the United States.

An I-20 Visa is required for Admission.
If you are citizen of a country other than the United States, you are required to get a student visa to study in the U.S. (Note: Canadian Citizens do not need a visa, but they do need a passport and I-20 to enter the U.S. as a student at SCTCC.) Degree seeking students will be issued an I-20 document and will need to obtain an F-1 visa.

Step One: Schedule a VISA appointment

Upon receipt of your I-20 document, schedule a visa appointment at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issues visas.  An interview will be required.  Find the location nearest you at:   You may apply for your visa up to 120 days before the start date on your I-20.  Additional information on obtaining a visa can be found at

Step Two: Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee

Anyone applying for an F-1  visa is required to pay the SEVIS fee.  Plan to pay the fee at least 3 days prior to your visa interview.  For more detailed information about the SEVIS fee, including options for payment, refer to:  

If you have paid the fee previously, it is good for one year.  If it has been over one year since you have paid the fee, be sure to make payment again prior to your visa appointment

Note: the SEVIS fee is a separate fee from the visa application fee.

Step Three: Book your travel to the United States

Upon receipt of the F-1 visa, you may enter the U.S. not more than 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20.

Receipt of an I-20 from St. Cloud Technical and Community College or any other school in no way guarantees that you will be issued a visa. In addition, receipt of an F-1 visa does not guarantee entry into the U.S. Customs and Border Control officers will inspect your immigration documents at the port of entry to determine your admissibility into the U.S.

For additional information about non-immigrant visas and rules for visiting the U.S., refer to:

Students who are unable to secure a visa after two attempts will not be processed for a third I-20 and will be advised to apply to another college.

Visa Wait Times

Since visa appointments are limited and visa processing times (link is external) can be lengthy, make your appointment as early as possible. Consulates will generally accept appointments up to 120 days prior to the start of studies. There may be long waiting periods for appointments, especially May through August. However, consulates may give priority to F-1 student applicants, if requested.

Visa Interviews

When going to the visa interview, bring:

  • Passport (valid at least six months into the future)
  • Certificate of Eligibility I-20 (F-1)
  • Proof of admission (F-1 new students) or proof enrollment (F-1 currently enrolled students)
  • Evidence of financial support
  • Visa application forms and fees
  • SEVIS Fee receipt

Some consulates may require additional documentation, so check the consulate website for visa application instructions. Visa application forms and fees can be found on the consulate website.


Your passport must be valid at least six months into the future at all times, especially upon initial entry or re-entry to the United States. If yours will expire soon, contact your home country's embassy (link is external) in the United States.

U.S. Entry Visa

The visa stamp in your passport should be valid on the date of your return to the United States. (It does not need to remain valid during your stay in the United States). If you have an old, expired passport with a valid U.S. entry visa, you do not need to get a new visa stamp in your new passport as long as you carry both passports when you enter the United States. Canadian citizens do not need a U.S. entry visa. Canadian "Landed Immigrants" (Permanent Residents, without Canadian citizenship/passport) are required to obtain U.S. entry visas.

Evidence of Financial Support

It is strongly recommended that F-1 nonimmigrants carry proof of the financial support and resources reflected on the Form I-20. Proof of financial support bank statements, or financial support letters should be dated within the last 6 months.

I-20 Documentation

Make sure your original form I-20 has been PROPERLY ENDORSED by the school official or agency that issued the document. For current F students, an I-20 travel endorsement is valid for 12 months, or until the expiration of the document, whichever is first.

SEVIS I-901 Fee Payment

It is also recommended to travel with proof of your SEVIS fee payment. If you need confirmation of your previous SEVIS fee payment, visit the SEVIS fee payment page (link is external) and select the option to "Check I-901 Status/ Print Payment Confirmation."

Proof of Enrollment

F1 enrolled students should travel with proof of the current or next semester's registration (e.g. printout of full-time class enrollment or schedule).

Top 10 Tips for Maintaining Your Status

Keep your local U.S. address up-to-date.

Keep your local residential address current in eServices (provide link). It must be updated within 10 days every time you move.

Maintain full-time enrollment.

You must be enrolled for 12 credits each semester.

Get approval from the international student advisor before a reduction in course load or withdrawal.

If for some reason you must reduce your enrollment below full-time units or withdraw from your program, you are required to have approval from the international student advisor before doing so.

Avoid violating the St. Cloud Technical and Community College Code of Student Conduct or U.S. laws.

If you are found in violation of the Student Code of Conduct (provide link) or have been arrested or violated U.S. laws it’s important to contact the international student advisor as soon as possible to understand what the impact may be on your F-1 status, as well as next steps and resources for support. Remember, any violation (suspension, dismissal, arrest) that impacts your ability to be an enrolled, full-time student or continue your post-completion employment will have a negative impact on your F-1 status.

Attend the school noted on your I-20

You must have a current, valid I-20 from the school you are attending full-time. If you transfer from SCTCC from another college or from SCTCC to another college, make sure you follow the proper procedure to transfer.  Please use the attached form (link to PDF) to request a transfer to SCTCC.

Keep your I-20  valid at all times and understand your completion date.

Your I-20 is only valid as long as you are a continuing, full-time student in your degree program, or on your approved post-completion training. If you graduate early, your I-20 will be shortened to the last day of your final semester of enrollment. If your final semester is summer, you MUST be enrolled in summer! You must notify the international student advisor of your early completion in order to avoid overstaying. If you need more time to complete your program, apply for an extension of program BEFORE the current completion date on your I-20.

Get a travel endorsement and understand your travel documents.

Before any international travel, review the process with and obtain a travel signature from the international student advisor. Travel endorsements are valid for one year during the program of study, but we recommend obtaining a new signature every 10 months. Exception: Travel endorsements during F-1 post-completion OPT/STEM are only valid for 6 months.

Understand your grace period after completion.

F-1’s have a 60 day grace period following the end of the program of study or authorized OPT Post-Completion Training. F-1’s may use the grace period to depart the U.S., continue studies via change of level or transfer, or apply for Post Completion OPT employment. 

Work ONLY with proper Employment Authorization.

F-1 students have limited options for employment. Before beginning any employment, review and understand the employment rules for on-campus work or off-campus work.

F-1 students and their dependents must maintain proper health insurance.

You, and your F-2 dependents, must maintain health insurance coverage.  The coverage is selected by the State of Minnesota and is required for all students.  No exceptions will be made to this policy.   

International students are required to:

  • Be enrolled full time taking at least 12 credits each semester.
  • Have health insurance at the time of enrollment (cost is approximately $900).
  • Pay the tuition rate and fees of $176.45 per credit.

Tuition, Fees, and Expenses

Attending and paying for college while in the United States can be very expensive.  You need to be prepared, upon arrival to pay for your tuition, books, insurance and living expenses.   It can take some time to set up bank accounts and you need to be prepared to pay for these items upon arrival.  Be sure your sponsor knows of this and it prepared to assistance you as you begin your education at St. Cloud Technical and Community College.
The following totals are estimates and will differ with each individual.  They are used as a guide to give a general idea of costs per year.

Resident Tuition & Fees 

$2060.00 (12 credits Fall Semester)    
$2060.00 (12 credits Spring Semester)
Summer session is option for International students
The per credit charge is $171.65 so if you take more than 12 credits, you can figure out the additional expense for tuition by multiplying the number of credits taken by $171.65.


$500 per semester 
$1,000.00 for the year

Room and Board                                           

St. Cloud Technical and Community College does not have housing on campus.  Students can live in the dorms at St. Cloud State University and the annual cost for living there is $7000.00 for the fall and spring semesters.  This includes your room and food expenses for the academic year.  Summer would be an additional fee as the dorms have very limited options during the summer months.

The college also is surrounded by apartments and is in a safe residential area.  Expenses associated with renting an apartment include paying your first and last month’s rent, damage deposits, phone hook up and internet hook up. 

Personal Expenses                                          



SCTCC is on the major bus routes for the city and can be easily accessed by students.  All students taking 6 or more credits can access a free bus pass in the college book store.  If you chose to purchase a car and insurance, this will be an additional expense for the student.                                        

Health Insurance        

Approximately $1000.00 each year                               

Total Estimated Expenses per Year *

*These fees are calculated on a two semester (fall and spring) basis. If a student intends to stay in the St. Cloud Area and/or take classes during the summer session they must plan their finances accordingly.

Other Expenses

If spouse/dependents are accompanying, the following additional expenses must be allowed for:
$6,500.00 first dependent
$3,000.00 each dependent thereafter

Acceptable Documentation:

St. Cloud Technical and Community College is required by the United States government to examine the financial documentation of F-1 students to insure the financial support is sufficient in order to issue an I-20. An international student at SCTCC will need to show official proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, health insurance (required by state law), and personal expenses. Official proof of funding cannot be more than 3 months old at time of application.

The funding can be from personal funds, funds from the student's family/sponsor, scholarships, fellowships or sponsoring agencies or governments.

Funding needs to be in liquid assets only. Property is not an acceptable source of funding.

The funds need to be on original bank letterhead stationery with a signature of the bank official in ink or a photocopy of the bank statement will need to be stamped by the issuing bank in original stamp ink and have a signature of a bank official in ink. Faxes, scanned copies, notarized copies and photocopies (without the original stamp/signature) are not acceptable documentation. Bank statements can not be dated more than three months prior to the date of application. 

An original letter from the sponsor indicating the amount he/she is willing to sponsor per year and the length of time the sponsorship will be available is required. The letter needs to be signed in ink and accompany the original bank statement.

An English translation by an official translating agency and with the stamp and signature of the translating official, and contact information of translating agency is required for all statements not in English.

As part of the application process, all students are required to complete and return the financial portion of the application.


Scholarship funding is limited to a few awards each year, based on merit and need. A scholarship generally covers only a portion of the tuition. The student is responsible for the balance of the costs.


Contact Jodi Elness.